Thursday, July 15, 2010

the countdown begins...

Preparation for a long sailing trip takes incredibly more energy than one expects! So many details to think of and there just isn't enough time in the day... yesterday however marked the first moment that I actually felt like we are close to being ready to leave! By close I mean, I can forsee the possibility of three more days of work... maybe four and then we will be ready! :)
(ps I am wearing a bathing suit in this picture, it's just hard to see from the reflection!)

The dingy that we bought ended up being much more of a fixer upper than we were hoping for. After much scrubbing and scraping of glue (that I must admit was mostly my dad) to reseal many of the seams she is almost ready for the water!

Hopefully she will be launched tomorrow so we can use her to put the name and port of call on the transom of Isla! Feels like a big step, I can't wait!



We also have this sweet little engine that along with a million other things my dad either inherited or scavanged for. He's like Mary Poppins with his garage and shed, you never know what he will pull out of there! We need to put snaps on the new sides of the awning that I made for shade underway, but how are we going to attach them without a special attaching snaps tool? "Oh I have one of those in the garage." Of course you do!


My big projects have of course been on the domestic side of things... Mission number one recovering the cushions for down below!





After much searching for inexpensive and appropriate fabrics I found the jackpot for exactly what I was hoping to spend!




This took some serious time and patience but it came out pretty well! Piping is HARD! But she's so pretty!




Can't wait to put them on Isla when she is cleaned up and ready! So soon! Today is hopefully the end of major things and then it's time to clean up, start packing and get ready for a small maiden voyage with the whole family before we actually leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment